CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Griffey is coming to Seattle, so much for Dad!

After sitting in a chair and strapped to the Apheresis machine for four and a half hours, I received a call from Mike, my youngest son saying, “Hey Dad. Did you hear that Griffey just signed on with Seattle today.” Then while I was talking to him, I could tell that someone else was trying to get through to me. When I hung up with Mike, I checked my missed calls and just as I thought, there was a call from Scott, our oldest son and I knew why he wanted to talk to me. Yes, he was calling to tell me the same thing about Ken Griffey Jr. So much for, “Hey Dad, how you doing?”

Now, don’t get upset with my two sons. The reason I say this is because I have two great sons. They both love the Lord and I know that they both love me. But, at the same time, they are just typical guys. I don’t see myself showing my dad a lot of concern had he gone to see the doctor when I was their age. In fact, let me tell you about my boys. Scott is a pastor of a church in Albany, Oregon and Mike is the head of the Math Department at what is now know as Corban College, formerly Western Baptist College in Salem, Oregon. God has blessed my wife and I with two wonderful sons.

Further, both boys love baseball. I was involved in Little League for ten years when they were little guys. One or the other was always on one of the teams that I coached during these years. My wife or I were at all of their home games from T-ball through college and even to most of their away games. We even flew south to watch them play baseball in Monterey, Mexico, when Scott was a senior in college and Mike was a freshman. And we were there when Scott played for Athletes in Action in Zagreb, Yugoslavia in the early nineties. And we can’t forget the portrait of Ken Griffey that my wife purchased several years ago that hung in our guest bedroom for a number of years, a portrait in which only five hundred copies were made. And how can I forget the night in 2005 that the three of us went to Seattle to get a bobble head of Ken Griffey on the tenth anniversary of the Mariners beating the Yankees in the American League playoffs (See Picture above).

So I set myself up for getting a call from the boys about Griffey rather than for them to find out how I made it through my first day on the Apheresis machine. Of course, I find this whole thing one of the laughable moments in the trial that I was going through. Besides, I think it was nice of them to call me anyhow to talk about something we had in common, namely baseball and our interest in Ken Griffey than just my health.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep, Yep, sometimes it is better to ask an unrelated question to check on someone to help them to focus on something else. Now I could not have done what your sons did with baseball because I only played for one year when I was ten. I don't even know what Ken Griffey has done to make him so famous...BR

Anonymous said...

Wow! Is it ever nice to see that you have friends who aren't up on the sport heros!
So glad that the treatment is going as planned. You are on our minds and we lift those thots to heaven. I am so thankful I can be positive about saying this, God loves you and so do we!
Shouldn't Hawaii be on the end of the ticker?

We love you, Gene and Neva