CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Our Last Visit at the Stanford Medical Center

Yesterday we went to Stanford to start some more Chemotherapy before ending up in the hospital in just a week. I had my own private room and one real fine nurse. She had taught Koyce a few weeks earlier how to clean the Catheter every day and how to put on a new patch where the line goes into the skin and connects to an vein. She was very pleasant and we enjoyed her very much. Yesterday, we started talking about our church and she mentioned that she was raised a PK. And she told us that one of her sons is in the ministry today. Later she said to us, “I meet some real nice people from time to time and I wonder if they could be believers.” She had said that she wondered if we might be believers. Within a week, I will be taking some real mean chemo and they said that I would be quite irritable an hour after they begin to put the stuff into my body. At this I had said, “Irritable? I am irritable all ready!” But this was a nice word to hear that someone thought we might be a believer.

While we were there yesterday, I was also given a home infusion pump that I need to carry around for the next week. I call it my new Teddy Bear as I even have to take it to bed with me each night. Its purpose is to pump continual Heparin into my body in order to prevent clots in blood vessels before and after surgery or during medical procedures. We were given a short overview of how the pump works and we were told what to do if the medicine stops flowing because of kink with the tubes or the batteries dying. The line connects to one of lines to my Catheter and the bag goes with me when I get up and move around and even when I go for a shower.

The next chemo day is Sunday. Our oldest son Scott will be coming down from Oregon and will be speaking for me. Koyce and I will miss it but hopefully I can get a tape of the service. In a week, hopefully, I can send you a picture of my hospital room. Thanks for all your encouragement and prayers. P.S. By the way, I stumbled when at home and hit my head on the closet opening and skinned up my head. That's the reason for the patch. But it is doing fine.



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dave: It's delightful following your progress on your blog. Thanks for your great communication skills! Remember when you and Koyce would visit Hillsboro in about 1964?...we would stay up nearly all night talking about the things of the Lord on Saturday nights, then I would beg you to preach because I wasn't ready! You have always been a stimulating dear friend since we were starting guards on Western's bb team. Seems like the next year we both sat on the bench because real bb players arrived on campus! Nancy and I love you and are praying for you--John and Nancy Ruhlman, Mount Vernon, WA.

dizzysnux said...

I love that picture....you look like a little boy, David.. WE have spent some good times together. lots of memories.especially Palm Springs Ca..

Praying, praying....

pammycakes said...

hi mr. david......how are you.....mighty fine lookin to me in that bed of yours with the bald head..kinda reminds me of my dad!! and i thought the patch looked good too......hey koyce....are you hangin in there??? i am praying for you two....i love you both...it's great to beable to read of your progress and schedules...make sure you use your rotadent david!!! or i might have to come up there and keep your teeth clean for you!!! oooh your own private hygienist!!! love you both......pam

Anonymous said...

"Nice to see you are still with us". Those were the words of one of my doctors. I've had my own journey these past months also.

http://www.robertdanielian.blogspot.com/

You can see my blog too.
A college friend called me tonight to remind me he is praying for me. He asked what has changed in me since my sickness. I said it is that I'm more intune with those who are sick or with those who has family members that are ill. Not that I wasn't before but I'm learning to listen in a different way to them and their story.
Dave, the best thing being out of the hospital is that at home no one pokes me for blood!
Robert Danielian, Dallas, Oregon

pammycakes said...

a baby toothbrush...awww how cute..i have baby ones...you need me to send you one??? :) i am at pammycakes2.blogspot.com love you and koyce...have a great day david!! i'm praying for you both!